CGHC Now 100% Member-Governed
January 6, 2015
Members of Common Ground Healthcare Cooperative (CGHC), Eastern Wisconsin’s only nonprofit, member-governed health insurance company, has elected its new Board of Directors.
All nine voting members of CGHC’s Board are now individuals insured by the cooperative. Thousands of CGHC members voted in the election that ran from November 17 to December 9, and was open for voting to all CGHC insured members in good standing age 18 or older by the closing date of the election.
The contested election was independently administered with members selecting up to nine of 13 nominees per ballot. The top nine vote getters will serve staggered, three-year terms starting in 2015. They are:
- Jim Wesp, a small-business owner that struggled for many years to provide quality health insurance to his family and his employees
- Jilaine Hummel Bauer, an experienced board member and consultant who hails from generations of farm cooperative owners
- Kristy Buus, who has a background in insurance, accounting, IT and process improvement
- John Maglio, who served as an advocate for workers during labor healthcare negotiations and who now is a nonprofit volunteer
- Suzanne Garrity, who through her work in small medical practices has significant clinical and administrative background in insurance contracting and claims
- Keisha Krumm, who has worked with Milwaukee area nonprofit organizations to solve problems
- Amy Murphy, a strategic planner and group facilitator with a master’s degree in public health
- Mary Rynders, a retired attorney looking to strengthen the mission of the cooperative
- Colleen Shields, who has significant experience in project management in the insurance and healthcare industries.
CGHC CEO Cathy Mahaffey says a member-governed Board gives the cooperative a competitive advantage over other insurers. “We expect our Board to ask questions, challenge assumptions and help make decisions that are in the best interests of consumers – not shareholders,” Mahaffey asked. “This group of leaders has the perfect mix of background and experiences to help us meet our mission.”